Students should write their daily math assignments in their assignment notebooks at the beginning of each week. PLEASE be aware that your student has a math folder and a math chart that maps out the ENTIRE YEAR of math lessons. These lessons are completed in order, so in the event of an absence, students should know the assignment to be completed for the day.
(1) Take notes on the section in your math notebook including copying any examples from the text.
(2) Complete the practice problems for the lesson including all problem solving problems. Please use your notebook to work the steps for the problem solving sections. Label each problem in your notebook carefully so that problems are easily located during class.
(3) During checking time in class, grade the lesson using a red pen, putting the number missed next to the lesson in the book and in the first column next to the lesson on your chart.
(4) Progress at a reasonable pace. There are deadlines to meet, please be aware of those announced!
(5) Review Lessons are to be done in their entirety (including sharpening skills sections) and will be turned in to be graded by the teacher. Students may be asked to write these lessons out on paper.
(6) Corrections will be done prior to taking a quiz or test. All lessons can be corrected including review lessons. Tutoring is offered every morning before school or during your study hall.
(7) Notebook may be used for quizzes and tests. Quizzes can be corrected for an averaged grade.
(8) Please ask all questions before taking your test. Assistance will not be given during a test AND test corrections are not accepted for an improvement to your grade. *Special request may be made to retake a test. See me immediately after the test is returned to arrange a time to retake a test.
MATH HOMEWORK will always be on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays!!! Additional work may be required of those not testing at grade level in math. In the event your student consistently has over an hour of math homework every night, please contact me.
WEDNESDAYS will be specifically designated "Word Problem Wednesday" for Math 6 and our focus during class will be (you guessed it!) word problems :) everyone's favorite!
If your student is struggling in math, help sessions are available before school. You can meet with me during your study hall for extra help too! There are also many good websites devoted to excellence in math. My favorites are khanacademy.org and purplemath.com.